In the past years we have witnessed a positive change in ideas about women's equality however the road to achieving it is still long. While governments and civil society have a key role to play, companies are a formidable force to advance gender equality by integrating women’s empowerment into corporate strategy.
This is why, at CWT, we support, endorse, and adhere to the UN’s Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs), and actively promote their engagement and adherence throughout our company – from the Chair downwards. This joint initiative of UN Women and the UN Global Compact provides a set of rules for companies, offering guidance on how to empower women in the workplace, marketplace, and community.
So, why not join us in celebrating International Women’s Day today and all year round, by following the seven WEPs:
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality.
- Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and non-discrimination.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers.
- Promote education, training and professional development for women.
- Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women.
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy.
- Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality.
And, maybe add your own extra measures to the mix, such as:
- Encourage your leadership team to sign the principles.
- Post them online in your intranet and create an electronic form so all your employees can sign them.
- Initiate a task force to coordinate gender equality companywide.
- Consistently follow a written policy – reinforcing training and communication around it.
By taking concrete actions to reinforce gender equality further, you will make your company even more competitive, meet your CSR commitments, provide greater economic and social opportunities for both women and men, and foster sustainable development in the countries where you operate.
So let’s all #BalanceForBetter – not just today, but every day.